Sometimes the only difference between mammahood nights and days is the dark

sometimes the only difference between mammahood nights and days is the dark Birth

Sweet, uniterrupted, blissful sleep …

Again, (and this probably won’t be the last time you hear me say this), I have no idea what was going on or what caused it, but this is what happened…

On Thursday night I got home at 9pm after attending my weekly session of yoga, sudarshan kriya and meditation, my weekly prana hit. Joshi was fast asleep. Simon and him had been for a walk while I was out and he’d fallen asleep in the baby carrier. Anyway, shortly after I got home Joshi woke, and after a feed went straight back to sleep. That’s usually what happens a few times through the night – he wakes for a feed, sometimes goes to the potty for a really big wee, and then straight back to sleep. It’s very effortless for the most part.

But be warned all mammas-to-be: Never think for a moment that how things are for you and your baby is how they’re going to be. If things are going well for you be sure to keep that smug look off your face coz you just never know how long it’s going to last. I once heard a great quote. It said, “The only constant is change,” and for sure … things changed for us that night.

At 11pm I went to bed. I’d have gone to bed earlier, but was fully of energy after kriya. Within 30 minutes Joshi woke and had a feed. He had such a big feed that when I lay him down to sleep I thought, “fabulous … he’s going to sleep solidly for at least 4 hours after a feed like that.” Less than one hour later – yes, you heard me … LESS THAN ONE HOUR LATER Joshi wakes. What?! What happened to my 4 solid, sweet, uninterrupted, blissful hours of sleep?! And then it began … Joshi sat up in bed with a really big smile on his face, looking at me with those rather mischievous “Hey-mom! Wanna-play?!” eyes. “No darling, it’s sleepy time.” I gently lay him back down. Up he popped. Like a little Jack-in-the-box, the more I lay him down the more he popped back up.

For the next 2 hours and 15 minutes Joshi and I were up. I held him, comforted him, fed him, sat on the exercise ball and gently bounced him, sang to him, gave him some weleda teething powder (no, they’re not paying me to say that), wondered where the heck his amber teething necklace has got to and then, rather suddenly, moved into a new mode of being. I thought “Ok, who cares if we don’t sleep tonight.” Ahhh, that precious moment of surrender when your mind stops fighting the situation, releases all resistance to it and moves into a state of sweet acceptance. Bliss.

So I put on the ergo baby carrier (affiliate link), popped him in it and decided to do some housework (as you do at 2.30am). I’ve gotta say, I just love those baby carriers. I don’t know what I’d do without one. When I’m carrying him in it it feels as though I’m carrying at least half the weight that he is. And I can get on with doing things while still having him really close to me. I cleaned the kitchen, folded some laundry, arranged the fresh lavender I’d picked in a vase and thought to myself, “sometimes the only difference between mammahood nights and days is the dark.”

Eventually, at 2.45am, Joshi’s little eyes closed and his mamma was able to go back to sleep. Ahhhhhhhh … sweet, uninterrupted, blissful sleep (for a whole 2.5 hours)!

Rate article